Please join us for a Wikipedia edit-a-thon, open to all:
- Tuesday March 4, 2014
- Shields Library Instruction Lab (map)
- Focus: Writing about women in science
On March 4, the Royal Society in London is hosting a Wikipedia edit-a-thon to Promote diversity in science and engineering to celebrate International Women’s Day. There is a long list of biographies of women scientists on Wikipedia that either don’t exist or need to be improved, as well as articles about their discoveries and work. More information about the event is in this recent article from the Guardian.
Professors Jonathan Eisen and Dawn Sumner of UC Davis proposed that we should have a “sister event” here at Davis to join in, and we are happy to host it at the library as part of our year-long Wikipedia project! Please join us to help make March 4 a world-wide Wikipedia editing effort to improve coverage of women scientists.
What to expect:
- Library computers are available or bring your laptop
- We will also have reference books featuring biographies of women scientists available to help add references to articles, and can give help searching library resources as well
- Everyone is welcome
- No Wikipedia editing experience is fine — we will help you get set up with an account and can give tutorials on getting started
- Sign up to participate on the Wikipedia event page or by emailing Phoebe.
If you have any questions, please contact Phoebe Ayers, email@example.com.