In celebration of National Coffee Day today, here is an image from the Milton Halberstadt Papers.
- BioAg Sciences
- Health Sciences Libraries
- H/SS & Gov Info Services
- Map Collection
- Physical Sciences & Engineering Library
- Scholarly Communication
- Library Sciences
- Special Collections
- Suggestions and Comments
The latest installment in the Then & Now series takes us to one of the oldest original campus buildings that is still standing, South Hall. The building was constructed in 1912 as a dormitory to house sixty-seven men. It remained a dormitory until 1961 when it was converted to office use. Over the years the building has housed the Advisory Skills Center, Learning Skills Center, Internship and Career Placement Center, Services for International Students and Scholars, Student Activities, Student Affairs Research and Information, and the Student Employment Center. As of 2014, the building contains offices for the following units and programs: Academic Peer Advising, Educational Placement, Graduate Letter Service, Health Sciences Advising, Internship and Career Center, Peace Corps, Pre-Graduate Advising, Pre-Health Advising, Tipsy Taxi, UC Davis Washington Program, and Unitrans.
The historic image of South Hall, taken in 1957, is from the Eastman’s Originals Collection.
Special Collections is excited to be participating again this year in the Sacramento Archives Crawl. This year’s event will occur from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, October 11, 2014.
The California State Library, California State Archives, Center for Sacramento History and Sacramento Public Library will serve as hosts and open their doors in celebration of National Archives Month. This year’s theme is Having Fun in the Sacramento Region.
As with past Sacramento Archives Crawls, participants will start at any of the four host locations and gather stamps in their passports as they view treasures from dozens of archives and special collections libraries, visit with archivists, and go on special behind-the-scenes tours. Those who visit at least three host locations during the 2014 Archives Crawl will receive a set of the limited-edition coasters seen below. Coasters are available while supplies last.
Special Collections staff will be hosting a table at the California State Library, 900 N Street, Sacramento. Stop by and say hello!
More information about the Sacramento Archives Crawl can be found here.
Image on the homepage is Sacramento, Calif, 1953 from our Eastman Originals Collection
The latest installment of On This Day features the groundbreaking ceremony for the Medical Sciences Unit I which took place on September 11, 1974. According to the program for the event: “The first permanent building for the School of Medicine, Medical Sciences Unit 1, is being built in two phases. The initial construction includes a cluster of low-rise buildings which will house the health sciences library, bookstore, lecture and seminar rooms, study areas, and administrative offices. The four story structure, Phase 2, will contain laboratories, offices, and classrooms.” Stone, Marraccini, and Patterson served as the architect for Phase 1 while the contractor was Campbell Construction Company. Phase 2, completed in September 1977, was named Tupper Hall in June 1996 in honor of C. John Tupper, the founding dean of the UC Davis School of Medicine.
In celebration of the first day of the Davis public schools, here is the latest installment of our Then & Now series. You may recognize this building and know its current use, but do you know why it was originally built?
This brick Romanesque Revival structure, located at 23 Russell Boulevard, was constructed in 1927 as the first Davis Joint Union High School. Prior to 1924, when high school classes were offered in the elementary school, high school students from Davis enrolled in schools in Woodland, Dixon, Sacramento, or other districts.
The Davis High School occupied the building from 1927 until 1960 when the new Davis Senior High was completed. The classroom wing was then used as administrative offices for the Davis Joint Unified School District. In the 1980s the building was remodeled as the City of Davis City Hall.
The historic image below, from our Eastman Originals Collection, was taken in 1944.