Department Blog

Special Collections

UC Davis Web Archives now available

May 24th, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

We’re excited to announce that we’ve launched public access to the UC Davis Web Archives. This project, created using the California Digital Library’s Web Archiving Service (WAS), preserves websites in the entire “ucdavis.edu” domain to document the history of the University’s activities and accomplishments. Special Collections, as the repository for the University Archives, collects records of historical value for the University.  Previously, many of these records have been in print form, now much of that information can be found on campus websites. This ongoing project, started in 2011, captures the websites of the University’s administration, schools and colleges, academic departments, administrative units, organized research units, intercollegiate athletics, and student organizations. The University Archives, through the Web Archiving Service, preserves these documents and makes them available for research and instruction.

You can view the UC Davis Web Archives on the WAS site here. Click on the “Site List” tab to view an alphabetical list of the sites that have been crawled. We’ve also organized the sites in a structure similar to the University’s organizational chart. You can view that structure via the left hand navigation bar on the “Site List” tab. You can also search for a site via the search box on the left hand navigation bar. Click on the “Show Info” icon to see the dates when each site has been crawled. The date link will bring you to the actual crawl.

We look forward to continuing to work with campus departments and groups to preserve the history of UC Davis. Please contact us at speccoll@ucdavis.edu with comments or questions.

National Train Day

May 10th, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

In celebration of National Train Day, here is an image from our Eastman Originals Collection.

Oroville, Calif., 1950

Then & Now: first installment

May 9th, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

We’re excited to launch a new series on our blog titled: Then & Now. This series will highlight historic images, mainly from the University Archives Photographs, alongside current views of the same location. We’re grateful to Tim Silva, the Library’s Illustrator and Exhibits Specialist, for his graphic work on the project as well as his photography of the present day sites.

Our first installment features a building quite close to Shields Library. This image is a give away since the name of the building can be seen in the photograph. The Animal Sciences Building was completed in June 1928 at a cost of $256,879. It was designed in the Spanish Revival style by William Charles Hays (1873-1963), Professor of Architecture at UC Berkeley and also Supervising Architect for the Davis campus.

When the building was completed in 1928, it housed the Animal Husbandry Department as well as the divisions of Veterinary Science, Entomology, and Zoology. In 1949, Veterinary Science moved to the new Haring Hall. Entomology stayed in the building until 1948-1949 and Zoology until 1969.

The building was renamed George Hart Hall in 1983. Hart’s career at the University of California began in 1917 when he joined the faculty at Berkeley as Professor of Veterinary Science. He came to Davis in 1926 as Professor of Animal Husbandry and Chairman of the Department, a position he held until 1948, when he became Dean of the School of Veterinary Medicine. He retired in 1954.

In 1986, Hart Hall was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 1987, the Animal Sciences Department moved to the new James Meyer Hall and Hart Hall underwent a renovation which was completed in 1992.

Today Hart Hall houses the following departments, programs, and organizations: African American and African Studies, American Studies, Asian American Studies, Center for Transnational Health, Chicana/o Studies, C.N. Gorman Museum, Cultural Studies, Human & Community Development, Native American Studies, and Women Studies.

Feel free to submit a guess of the date of the “then” photo and/or note any differences in the two images via the comments below.

Stay tuned for our next installment of Then & Now...

May is Bike Month

May 3rd, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

Here’s a recap of an earlier post that we did for May is Bike Month:

Since May is Bike Month, here is a sampling of some of our collections that focus on bicycles and bicycling.

The William Clauson Cycling Collection contains bicycling books, journals, trade publications and directories, racing programs, rule books, posters, comics and other materials relating to bicycling.

The Matthew Sarna-Wojcicki Collection contains periodicals that focus on bicycles and cycling. Titles include: Velo-News, Winning, Berkeley Bike Club Newsletter/Pneusletter, Cycle, Cycling USA, NCNCA (Northern California/Nevada Cycling Association) Newsletter, and NORBA News: official publication of the National Off-Road Bicycle Association.

Dale Lott (1933-2004), Professor of Psychology and Wildlife and Fisheries Biology, worked on the design of bicycle paths in Davis. His Papers contain some materials related to the usage, design, and evaluation of bicycle lanes, as well as 35mm slides of bicycle lanes.

Our University Archives Photographs contain images of bicycles and bicyclists on campus. Below is one image from that group.

Bicycles outside Roessler Hall, undated. Photograph by Dennis Galloway

44th Whole Earth Festival

May 2nd, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

May 10-12, 2013 marks the 44th Whole Earth Festival on campus.

According to an article titled “Whole Earth Festival” in the April 1972 UCD Spectator:

“The idea was brought to the Davis campus during the Christmas vacation break of 1969. A member of the ASUCD Experimental College attended a San Francisco lecture by Swami Satchidananda where the Indian spiritual leader’s close friend, John McConnell, described the concept of an Earth Day. UCD art historian Jose Arguelles seized upon the idea and 400 of his Art 147 and Art 138B classes took on planning of a Whole Earth Week as a final examination. It happened March 17-21, 1970 and was repeated again last April 2-4 under the sponsorship of the Experimental College.”

Whole Earth Festival, undated