Department Blog

Special Collections

San Francisco Mime Troupe performs in Davis on August 10

July 31st, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

The San Francisco Mime Troupe will perform, “Oil & Water,” in Davis on Saturday, August 10 and in Sacramento on Sunday, August 11. Details about the local performances are below. More information about the Mime Troupe and this year’s performance can be found on their website and in a recent article in the Davis Enterprise.

Special Collections hold the archives of the San Fransisco Mime Troupe. A finding aid for the collection can be found here.

Community Park
Sat, Aug 10th @ 7:00 PM (Music 6:30)
East 14th & F St., Davis map toEast 14th & F St.
Ticket Info: FREE (donation)

Southside Park, Bandshell
Sun, Aug 11th @ 4:00 PM (Music 3:30)
6th & T St., Sacramento map to6th & T St.
Ticket Info: FREE (donation)

Then & Now

July 23rd, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

This installment of Then & Now brings us to a building close to Shields Library. Do you recognize this two story building located southeast of us? Originally named the Dramatic Art Building, it was completed in August 1966.

On October 9, 1997 the building was dedicated to Celeste Turner Wright, Professor of English at UC Davis. Professor Wright achieved many firsts during her time at Davis: she was the first woman with a Ph.D. to become a faculty member, the first woman to be tenured, the first drama instructor, and the first humanities professor to be honored as Faculty Research Lecturer.

Today, Wright Hall houses the Department of Theatre and Dance and the Performance Studies Graduate Group. The building contains the Main Theatre, which seats 470,  as well as the department’s costume shop, scene shops, prop room, and sound studio. The courtyard features Robert Arneson’s sculpture, Yin & Yang, from his 1991-1992 Egghead Series.

Can you spot the differences between the two photographs?

specol_tn-name-homepage-lcd-0C_final

July is Park and Recreation Month

July 8th, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

In celebration of “July is Park and Recreation Month,” here is an image from our Eastman Originals Collection.

At "Summit Lake," Lassen Volcanic Natl. Park, Calif., 1937

At “Summit Lake,” Lassen Volcanic Natl. Park, Calif., 1937

Happy 4th of July!

July 3rd, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

In celebration of the 4th of July (and in hopes of cooler temperatures), here is an image from our Eastman Originals Collection.

"Playing on the Snow Banks" - 4th, of July! At Lassen Nat'l. Park, Calif., 1936

“Playing on the Snow Banks” – 4th, of July! At Lassen Nat’l. Park, Calif., 1936

July is National Ice Cream Month

July 2nd, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month? Did you know that in the 1920’s the Northern Branch of the UC College of Agriculture (now UC Davis) offered a short course that taught students how to make ice cream?

In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month. In celebration of it, here is an image from the University Archives Photographs of students in the ice cream short course on campus

Ice cream short course students, College of Agriculture, circa 1925

Ice cream short course students, College of Agriculture, circa 1925

Then & Now

July 1st, 2013 by Sara Gunasekara

This installment of Then & Now takes us to the Carlson Health Sciences Library.

The beginnings of the Carlson Health Sciences Library date to 1956 when the Veterinary Medicine Library was established in a room next to the Dean’s Office in Haring Hall.  The Veterinary Medicine Library became the Health Sciences Library (HSL) in 1966 with the founding of the School of Medicine. (The Medical Center Library was established in 1970 at the UC Davis Medical Center.)

In 1967, the HSL moved from its original location in Haring Hall to Surge II. A decade later in 1977, the HSL opened in its current location in Medical Sciences 1B.

The Regents of the University of California in executive session on June 20, 1980, approved “that the Health Sciences Library, located in Building B of the Medical School Complex, Davis campus, be designated the Loren Daniel Carlson Health Sciences Library.” The renaming ceremony and dedication took place on December 12, 1984. Loren D. Carlson (1915-1972) came to the medical school at Davis in 1966 as assistant dean and chairman of the division of sciences basic to medicine, a post he held concurrently with the chairmanship of the Department of Human Physiology.

The Carlson Health Sciences Library serves the faculty, staff and students of the School of Medicine and the School of Veterinary Medicine. The collection has its strengths in the basic life sciences as they relate to human and animal medicine. The scope of the collection encompasses clinical medicine, veterinary research, and basic medical and veterinary sciences including genetics, virology, immunology, medicine, parasitology, orthopedics, neurology, epidemiology, preventive medicine, and zoonoses.

The historical photographs of the HSL below were taken in June 1979.

specol_tn-name-homepage-lcd_final

specol_tn-name-homepage-lcd_final