As October ends so does National Archives Month and to commemorate both the month and Halloween Mr. Spud is dressed as an archivist! Please note the use of white gloves, no. 2 pencil and acid free folders. No archivist is complete without his supplies and Hollinger Metal Edge keeps our archivist well supplied with the materials to preserve items in our collection.
- BioAg Sciences
- Health Sciences Libraries
- H/SS & Gov Info Services
- Map Collection
- Physical Sciences & Engineering Library
- Scholarly Communication
- Science Libraries
- Special Collections
- Suggestions and Comments
Today marks the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the route of the Lincoln Highway.
Did you know that the Lincoln Highway traveled through Davis? The highway entered Davis on Olive Drive, turned right onto Richards Boulevard, left onto First Street and and right on B Street. At the intersection of B Street and Russell Boulevard, the highway turned left onto Russell and passed the UC Davis campus.
The current intersection of Russell Boulevard and Route 113 was once the “Y” where the road coming from Woodland ended. This spot was also the location of the Sweems one-stop: a filling station, coffee shop, soda fountain, café, bus depot, and the Davis Y Auto Court.
After passing the Sweems, the highway continued west on Russell Boulevard and then went south on Pedrick Road.
Happy 100th Birthday, Lincoln Highway!
You may be wondering what the World Series has to do with Shakespeare’s Second Folio. Well, it has everything to do with our copy of the Second Folio.
In 1958, the University of California acquired the extensive personal library of C.K. (Charles Kay) Ogden, British linguist and philosopher. The University divided the library among the extant campuses: Berkeley, UCLA, Davis, Santa Barbara, and Riverside. The Davis library’s portion was nearly 10,000 volumes.
A Second Folio, the second edition of Shakespeare’s works printed in 1632, was part of the C.K. Ogden library. When the time came to place it, Berkeley and UCLA both said that it duplicated their holdings. So, the placement fell to Davis, Santa Barbara, and Riverside. Instead of making the placement based on the flipping of a coin, a time-honored ritual, the University Librarians decided to base the placement on the outcome of the 1958 World Series.
In 1958, the American League was represented by the New York Yankees, the National League by the Milwaukee Braves. The same teams had played the 1957 series, with Milwaukee winning in seven games. According to former University Librarian J.R. Blanchard’s Reminiscences, “Davis was fortunate in drawing the New York Yankees, who knocked in the winning run of the 1958 baseball series, which also meant the Second Folio was pitched out to the Davis campus.”
In celebration of the World Series, here is an image from our Eastman Originals Collection.
In celebration of National Cat Day today, here is an image from our Eastman Originals Collection.
This week’s feature in our Finding Aid Friday series is the Office of Ceremonies and Special Events Collection. This collection contains materials related to UC Davis campus ceremonies, dedications, lectures, programs, and receptions. The materials, which span the years 1922 to 2013, include programs, invitations, flyers, brochures, correspondence, and meeting minutes.
The collection contains materials for annual events such as Charter Day, the President’s Reception, Distinguished Teacher’s Symposium, and the Faculty Research Lecture, as well as events such as Prince Charles visit to campus.
Below is an image of the program for the November 12, 1928 dedication of the Agricultural Engineering (now Walker Hall) and Animal Science (now Hart Hall) Buildings.
Today we’re launching a new series, Finding Aid Friday, on our blog. This series was inspired by our archivist colleagues on Twitter who created the #FindingAidFriday. On Fridays, we’ll post a finding aid for one of our recently processed collections.
This week’s feature is the finding aid for the Blue and Gold Dairy Club Records. The Blue and Gold Dairy Club, organized in 1920 at the Davis campus, brought together students who were interested in the dairy industry. This small collection contains the club’s correspondence, meeting minutes, and several photographs including the one below.
The photograph has identifications of the women pictured but it does not indicate their affiliation with the club. The Blue and Gold Dairy Club ran the Homecoming Queen contest. We have assumed that the women in this photograph had something to do with the Homecoming Queen contest and the Royal Court.
Can any of our alumni let us know if our assumptions are correct?