This week’s feature in our Theater Thursday series takes us to Greenville, California. The image below, from our Eastman Originals Collection, was taken in 1951. Did you ever attend a movie at the Plumas Theatre? If so, please share your memories with us.
- BioAg Sciences
- Health Sciences Libraries
- H/SS & Gov Info Services
- Map Collection
- Physical Sciences & Engineering Library
- Scholarly Communication
- Science Libraries
- Special Collections
- Suggestions and Comments
Can you venture a guess as to the location of this building? This installment of Then & Now takes us further east on 2nd Street to the northwest corner of 2nd & G Streets in Davis.
John B. Anderson, Mayor of Davis in 1917, financed the construction of this Prairie School style commercial building. The brick structure, known as the Anderson Bank Building, was completed in December 1914 by C. Guth, a contractor in Sacramento. Original occupants of the building included the Bank of Davis, the Davis Post Office on the north, three shops on the south and numerous offices on the upper floor. In October 1917, Anderson sold the building to the Bank of Davis which served the community until 1964 when it was sold to the Bank of Sacramento. Today the building houses several retail establishments along with offices.
Both of the historic images of the building are from our Eastman Originals Collection. The view looking west on 2nd Street was taken in 1953 while the view looking north on G Street was taken in 1944. Can you spot the differences in the building from then to now?
This week’s installment of the Finding Aid Friday series features the Anderson Valley Advertiser Records. The Anderson Valley Advertiser (AVA) was established in 1956 by Elizabeth and Steven Malgrem as a small community newspaper in Boonville, California, in Mendocino County. Bruce Anderson bought the newspaper in 1983 in an effort to establish a publication that featured not only local news but national political news as well.
The collection contains correspondence, secondary research, ephemera, photographs, and other materials related to Bruce Anderson, editor of the AVA. The collection spans the years 1944-2011 with the bulk of the collection comprising the years 1984-1991. The collection features materials related to Earth First!, environmental activist Judi Bari, the Mendocino County School Board, the Wanda Tinasky controversy, and the New Boonville Hotel. The collection also features newspaper clippings from various Bay Area newspapers and magazines, such as the San Francisco Chronicle, and includes back issues of the AVA from 1978-2011.
This installment of our Then & Now series takes us to an off campus location, the Varsity Theatre. The reinforced concrete building located at 616 2nd Street in Davis first opened on June 9, 1950 as the Varsity Movie Theater. It is one of two examples of Streamline Moderne architecture in the city.
The Varsity Theatre has a long history in Davis. It was originally built in 1921 at 702 2nd Street by the Luft family. The Lufts later sold the theater to the West Side Valley Theaters Company which constructed the building on the present day site. In 1992, the City of Davis leased the building which was renovated and reopened as a Performing Arts & Conference Center. During that time the theatre was the home of the Davis Musical Theatre Company. In 2004, the City purchased the property and sought proposals to increase use of the space. The Varsity Theatre officially re-opened on April 6, 2006 as an independent movie theater.
We nominated sixteen films from our collection to be digitized as part of the project. The films, which focus on California history, feature Northern California locations and UC Davis campus activities as well as topics such as water issues and native plants. The digitized films, which will be hosted on the Internet Archive as part of the California Light and Sound Collection, should be available during Summer 2014. Please stay tuned until then when we’ll unveil these newly digitized films.
Today everyone was encouraged to wear red as the campus strove to set a new world record for largest heart formation. And while the rain might have deterred the campus from meeting that goal the staff in Special Collections wore red to support a healthy heart.
For more information check out the LibGuide All Red for Heart Health.
This week’s installment of the Finding Aid Friday series features the Louis Grivetti Papers. Louis Grivetti served as Professor of Geography and Nutrition at the University of California, Davis from 1976-2007. The collection contains his correspondence, teaching, service, and advising materials, as well as research materials. Also included are materials related to Grivetti’s research on the history of chocolate and the book, Chocolate: History, Culture, and Heritage (2009) that he edited with Howard Shapiro.