- BioAg Sciences
- Health Sciences Libraries
- H/SS & Gov Info Services
- Map Collection
- Physical Sciences & Engineering Library
- Scholarly Communication
- Science Libraries
- Special Collections
- Suggestions and Comments
Today is #AskAnArchivist Day on Twitter. Have you ever wanted to ask an archivist about their profession and or about the collections located in archives? Today archivists around the country are on Twitter to respond to questions tweeted with the hashtag #AskAnArchivist. Don’t have a question right away? Search Twitter for #AskAnArchivist and follow along as questions and answers are shared!
Although we won’t be participating in the Twitter event, you are always welcome to stop by Special Collections or e-mail us at email@example.com with questions.
Today’s post in the On This Day series features the October 24, 1922 dedication of the Dairy Industry and Horticulture Buildings. Both buildings were designed by architect William C. Hays and financed through state appropriations.
The Horticulture Building, located near the present day site of Wellman Hall, housed the Botany, Pomology, and Viticulture Departments.
The Dairy Industry Building, located at the present day site of the School of Education building, contained a creamery and administrative offices. On October 26, 1963, the Dairy Industry Building was named for Chester Roadhouse (1881-1969), Professor of Dairy Science.
Built of masonry and stucco rather than wood, both buildings were considered the first two “permanent” structures on campus. However, both were razed in the 1960s.
Today’s feature in our On This Day series takes us back fifty-five years to October 23, 1959 and the inauguration of Emil Mrak as the second Chancellor of UC Davis. Mrak’s appointment as Chancellor began on July 1, 1959 following the retirement of Chancellor Stanley Freeborn and the official inauguration ceremonies followed several months later in October.
Some 1500 University students, faculty, community members, and delegates from 42 other California colleges and universities attended the inauguration ceremony which took place in the Sunken Garden (now the site of the courtyard of Shields Library). University of California President Clark Kerr conducted the ceremony which included a speech by President Conrad A. Elvehjem of the University of Wisconsin. As part of the ceremony, honorary degrees were presented to Elvehjem and food engineer David Peebles.
Mrak (1901-1987) was appointed as an instructor in Food Technology in 1937 at UC Berkeley. He became Professor and Department Chairman in 1948, and in 1951 transferred with most of his staff to the UC Davis campus to reorganize and expand the Department of Food Science and Technology here.
Mrak served as Chancellor during a time of unprecedented growth for the campus. When he became Chancellor, UC Davis had approximately 2,000 undergraduates and more than 600 graduate students. By 1967, student enrollment was over 10,000. During Mrak’s tenure the following campus units were established: Graduate Division (1961), College of Engineering (1962), National Center for Primate Biology (now the California National Primate Research Center) (1962), School of Law (1964), Crocker Nuclear Laboratory (1965), and the School of Medicine (1966).
Mrak retired as Chancellor in 1969 and was succeeded by James Meyer.
Archives Month is a collaborative effort by archivists around the nation to highlight the importance of historical records. More information about Archives Month events in California is available on the California Archives Month website.
Special Collections is celebrating Archives Month by participating in the fourth annual Sacramento Archives Crawl on Saturday, October 11. We’ll have a table at the California State Library. Stop by and say hello!