- BioAg Sciences
- Health Sciences Libraries
- H/SS & Gov Info Services
- Physical Sciences & Engineering Library
- Scholarly Communication
- Special Collections
- Suggestions and Comments
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
Posts by Sara Gunasekara
We’re excited to launch a new series on our blog titled: Then & Now. This series will highlight historic images, mainly from the University Archives Photographs, alongside current views of the same location. We’re grateful to Tim Silva, the Library’s Illustrator and Exhibits Specialist, for his graphic work on the project as well as his photography of the present day sites.
Our first installment features a building quite close to Shields Library. This image is a give away since the name of the building can be seen in the photograph. The Animal Sciences Building was completed in June 1928 at a cost of $256,879. It was designed in the Spanish Revival style by William Charles Hays (1873-1963), Professor of Architecture at UC Berkeley and also Supervising Architect for the Davis campus.
When the building was completed in 1928, it housed the Animal Husbandry Department as well as the divisions of Veterinary Science, Entomology, and Zoology. In 1949, Veterinary Science moved to the new Haring Hall. Entomology stayed in the building until 1948-1949 and Zoology until 1969.
The building was renamed George Hart Hall in 1983. Hart’s career at the University of California began in 1917 when he joined the faculty at Berkeley as Professor of Veterinary Science. He came to Davis in 1926 as Professor of Animal Husbandry and Chairman of the Department, a position he held until 1948, when he became Dean of the School of Veterinary Medicine. He retired in 1954.
In 1986, Hart Hall was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 1987, the Animal Sciences Department moved to the new James Meyer Hall and Hart Hall underwent a renovation which was completed in 1992.
Today Hart Hall houses the following departments, programs, and organizations: African American and African Studies, American Studies, Asian American Studies, Center for Transnational Health, Chicana/o Studies, C.N. Gorman Museum, Cultural Studies, Human & Community Development, Native American Studies, and Women Studies.
Feel free to submit a guess of the date of the “then” photo and/or note any differences in the two images via the comments below.
Stay tuned for our next installment of Then & Now...
Here’s a recap of an earlier post that we did for May is Bike Month:
Since May is Bike Month, here is a sampling of some of our collections that focus on bicycles and bicycling.
The William Clauson Cycling Collection contains bicycling books, journals, trade publications and directories, racing programs, rule books, posters, comics and other materials relating to bicycling.
The Matthew Sarna-Wojcicki Collection contains periodicals that focus on bicycles and cycling. Titles include: Velo-News, Winning, Berkeley Bike Club Newsletter/Pneusletter, Cycle, Cycling USA, NCNCA (Northern California/Nevada Cycling Association) Newsletter, and NORBA News: official publication of the National Off-Road Bicycle Association.
Dale Lott (1933-2004), Professor of Psychology and Wildlife and Fisheries Biology, worked on the design of bicycle paths in Davis. His Papers contain some materials related to the usage, design, and evaluation of bicycle lanes, as well as 35mm slides of bicycle lanes.
Our University Archives Photographs contain images of bicycles and bicyclists on campus. Below is one image from that group.
May 10-12, 2013 marks the 44th Whole Earth Festival on campus.
According to an article titled “Whole Earth Festival” in the April 1972 UCD Spectator:
“The idea was brought to the Davis campus during the Christmas vacation break of 1969. A member of the ASUCD Experimental College attended a San Francisco lecture by Swami Satchidananda where the Indian spiritual leader’s close friend, John McConnell, described the concept of an Earth Day. UCD art historian Jose Arguelles seized upon the idea and 400 of his Art 147 and Art 138B classes took on planning of a Whole Earth Week as a final examination. It happened March 17-21, 1970 and was repeated again last April 2-4 under the sponsorship of the Experimental College.”
The Society of American Archivists has partnered with the American Library Association, the Library of Congress, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and many other cultural heritage organizations to launch Preservation Week – a national campaign to help raise awareness about collecting and preservation, to connect the general public to preservation information and expertise, and to emphasize the close relationships among personal, family, community, and public collections and their preservation.
Visit the Preservation Week website for a list of the week’s events, including three free webinars: The Preservation of Family Photographs, Personal Digital Archiving, and Archival 101: Dealing with Suppliers of Archival Products.
The Colby E. “Babe” Slater Student Internship in Special Collections is generously funded by Richard and Marilyn Slater McCapes. The internship is named in honor of Marilyn’s father, Colby E. Babe Slater. Slater, a 1917 graduate of the University Farm School (now the University of California, Davis), won Olympic gold medals for rugby in 1920 and 1924. Special Collections holds the Colby E. Babe Slater Collection.
This position provides a graduate student in library science or public history with experience working in a Special Collections Department. The student works with an archivist to arrange and describe collections and create finding aids.
Brittani Orona, a student in the Masters in Public History Program at California State University, Sacramento, is the first recipient of the named internship. Brittani began work in May 2012 and has processed the following collections to make them accessible for research:
Special Collections will be participating in Picnic Day as part of the Shields Library Open House. Shields Library and Special Collections will be open from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 20, 2013.
On display will be selections from the Colby E. “Babe” Slater Collection. Slater, a 1917 graduate of the University Farm School (now the University of California, Davis), won Olympic gold medals for rugby in 1920 and 1924. Slater’s daughter, Marilyn Slater McCapes, graduated from UC Davis in 1955. Her husband Dick McCapes graduated from UC Davis in 1956 and received a DVM from the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1958. The McCapes are this year’s Picnic Day parade marshals. Dick will represent Marilyn who passed away in 2012. Babe Slater is also being honored as a parade marshal.
On display in the cases in front of Special Collections is the exhibit, Maynard Amerine: In His Own Words. Amerine, a professor in the Viticulture and Enology Department, was an acknowledged authority on both the cultural and technical aspects of grape growing and wine making. Amerine left a legacy to the State of California and the world through the hundreds of students he trained who have become wine makers and grape growers. In addition to the exhibit, you can also view Professor Amerine’s 1973 class lectures for his course Sensory Analysis of Wine. These historic videos were recently converted to digital files.
Stop by to see these “snapshots” in the history of UC Davis. We hope to see you on Picnic Day!
If you weren’t able to see the UC Davis Traditions exhibit that was on display during the Summer and Fall, you can now view it as a web exhibit! It is available on our website here.
We’re always interested to hear your memories of these UC Davis traditions or others that we didn’t capture in the exhibit.
Special Collections announces that the following collections have been processed during October 12, 2012-March 1, 2013 and now have finding aids on the Online Archive of California (OAC).
The collections that are marked with an asterisk were processed as part of our participation in the project, Uncovering California’s Environmental Collections: A Collaborative Approach. This project was funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and administered by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR), Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives program. The Nikola P. Prokopovich Papers were also processed as part of this project.
To view any of these finding aids, click on the collection name which will automatically take you to finding aid on the OAC site. To view the list of all UCD finding aids on OAC, click here.
Institute of Governmental Affairs Collection (University Archives)
Student Clubs and Activities (University Archives)
On February 28, 2013, Unitrans will celebrate its 45th Birthday. In the late 1960s, the Associated Students of UC Davis (ASUCD) explored possibilities for providing bus transportation to students traveling between the City of Davis and the campus. The University Transport System, or Unitrans, was founded by ASUCD and service officially began on February 28, 1968 with two London double decker buses operating on two routes. Today, Unitrans provides transportation with 49 buses on 18 routes, carrying over 3.5 million passengers a year.
In 2008 Special Collections created an exhibit to celebrate the 40th birthday of Unitrans. The exhibit is available in web form here.
Milestones achieved by Unitrans during the past five years include: completion of the Hutchison Passenger Terminal (2008), implementation of a vehicle tracking system (2009), creation of the O Line (2010), creation of the V Line (2011), and the return of RTL 1014 to London (2012). Read the Dateline story about the return of RTL 1014 here.
Happy 45th Birthday, Unitrans!