Department Blog

Suggestions and Comments

If We’re Close to Finals, There Are Complaints About Noise!

QUESTION: Would you please install doors for the group study rooms on 3rd and fourth floors around the elevators? There are very noisy, especially it is quiet around these rooms.

ANSWER: Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I really appreciate hearing about what needs to be improved in the Library.

The space you are referring to is a makeshift study space, it used to be our old copier room. Legally I can’t put doors on that space. I have two solutions, neither perfect but moving towards a better world.

1) If you are disturbed by the noise, always feel free to call down to the circulation desk and ask to have a security guard sent up to ask the students to be quieter. The number is 752-8792.

2) At this very moment I am working on a plan to re-order furniture in the Library and to designate floors by activities; ex: 1st floor would be group oriented and the 3rd and 4th floors would be silent. I’m working on student notification and an action plan with the expectation all movement will be accomplished by fall 2013.

None will solve the immediate problem of students being impolite, but we’re working to make it easier for people to self-regulate. Currently we have a mix of quiet and group spaces which means neither group is totally comfortable.

In the meanwhile, if you want a quiet carrel, I’d suggest that you move to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th floors on the far south side of the building. We have rows of cubicles beyond the stacks that are deathly quiet. Hopefully this will work for you.

Tags: